I have a vast array of writing experience as well as instructional design, visual design, video production, and voice over. My expertise is in taking the guesswork out of complex technical content for busy IT professionals. I am a self-driven Sr. Technical UX Writer with a degree and strong background in computer networking and system administration, and more than 20 years in the tech industry. Over the last ten years, I have helped organizations reduce, simplify, and restructure their content, ensuring quality and accuracy, and increasing overall customer satisfaction rates.
Sr. Technical Writer | UX Writer | Visual Designer | Voiceover Professional
I am passionate about creating content experiences that help IT Pros achieve more with the technology they use.
- Streamlined a weekly team status report for the Amazon executive team, reducing the time to compile and deliver the report by ~4 hours (more than half).
- Rewrote a decades-old installation/upgrade guide for the GE Healthcare customers and support team, reducing the time to install/upgrade, data loss or corruption, and support calls.
- Built a custom authoring environment in MadCap Flare and converted legacy content for several large corporations to maximize content reuse and to reduce the cost of creating, managing, and publishing content.
February 2020 - present
Freelance Technical Writer and Voiceover Professional
September 2019 - 2019
Freelance Network Content Writer
September 2019 - January 2020
|- Wrote an eBook for a marketing campaign called “How Automation is Transforming the Datacenter Landscape”
- Wrote video scripts, provided the voice over, and did the final video production for pre-recorded screen capture how-to videos.
Freelance Technical Marketing Writer
July 2019 - August 2019
|Wrote a blog article called “What is NET, CPU and RAM on the WAX Blockchain?”.|
Technical Writer II
Seattle, WA and remote
March 2019 - June 2019
Worked with the Android and iOS development team to rewrite the SDK and API guides for mobile messaging.
Technical Writer II
Redmond, WA and remote
January 2018 to January 2019
- Worked with the Microsoft Edge development team to rewrite the Microsoft Edge Enterprise Deployment Guide.
- Worked with the networking team to update the Always On VPN and other networking content.
Contract Research Librarian & Technical Writer
Oculus VR, a Facebook company
July 2017 to December 2017
- Developed cross-functional workflows and process documentation for the Mechanical and Electrical Engineers in a Virtual Reality R&D environment.
- Managed all controlled documentation, such as SOWs, CAD drawings, and SOPs.
Software Technical Writer & MadCap Flare Conversion Specialist
Seattle, WA and remote
August 2016 to May 2017
Collaborated with developers and customers to rewrite an outdated installation/upgrade guide, reducing data loss or corruption as well as support calls.
Technical Writer II & MadCap Flare Conversion Specialist
Seattle, WA and remote
September 2015 to July 2016
Wrote feature announcements and task-oriented guides for the employees at the Amazon Fulfillment Centers (FCs).
Contract Technical Writer & System Admin
Greenwood Village, CO
March 2015 to September 2015
- Collaborated with principle video-on-demand (VOD) and network engineers on Method of Procedures documentation.
- Wrote Python scripts for system administration tasks.
MadCap Flare Conversion Specialist
October 2014 to December 2014
Trained technical writers and instructional designers to use and customize MadCap Flare.
Technical Writer & MadCap Flare Conversion Specialist
SolidFire, a NetApp company
January 2014 to October 2014
- Wrote release notes, API guides, user guides, and online help for the support team, field technicians, developers, and customers.
- Contributed and edited content for white papers, best practice articles, and solution briefs for the cloud storage solution.
Contract Technical Writer
Sybase, an SAP company
December 2012 to November 2013
- Wrote installation, configuration, and API guides on the Sybase Money Mobiliser Platform for developers, support, and customers.
- Worked closely with software developers (Java), project managers, and product architects.
Technical Writing Consultant
Arvada, CO and remote
July 2012 to January 2013
- Wrote design specifications for the enterprise planning and budgeting software.
- Restructured the instructor-led training to include scenario-based, hands-on exercises and review questions for general users and IT personnel.
Contract Sr. Technical Writer & MadCap Flare Conversion Specialist
Level 3 Communications, a CenturyLink company
August 2011 to July 2012
Wrote provisioning procedures in an online help format for field technicians in the fiber optic cable industry.
Technical writing and authoring
- Technical and UX writing | 100%
- MadCap Flare (Certified expert) | 95%
- Markdown, Confluence or other wiki platforms | 95%
- DITA/XML, oXygen, Arbortext | 80%
- Adobe Robohelp | 75%
Visual design/graphic design
- Visual design and desktop publishing | 95%
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) | 90%
- Adobe Premiere Pro | 50%
Voice over and audio editing
- Audacity | 75%
- Adobe Audition | 30%
Instructional design and curriculum writing
- Curriculum writing | 75%
- Adobe Captivate | 75%
Programming and misc.
- HTML5/CSS3 | 85%
- GitHub/Git/Git bash | 80%
- JIRA or other sprint-based systems | 60%
- Jekyll | 50%
- Python | 15%
Remote, flexible work experience | 95%
- Focus and time management
- Proactive communication
- Growth mindset
- Comfortable with digital communication
- Video conferencing: Skype, Google Hangouts, Zoom
- Instant messaging: Skype, Slack, Google Chat
- File sharing: Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, OneDrive
Training and education
Voice over acting
Such A Voice - Remote
Coach: Jan Haley-Soule
March 2019 - present
- Technical (computer networking, software, cloud storage)
- Corporate (presentations, training, e-learning)
- Narration (informational, textbooks)
- Medical (hand/wrist anatomy and health conditions, environmental health, public health)
Bachelor’s in Health Science | Environmental Health
Kaplan University - Remote
October 2010 to May 2012 [Incomplete - shy 6 credits]
Associate’s of Applied Science | Computer Science and Information Technology**
Denver Technical College, a division of DeVry University - Denver, CO
February 1999 to April 2001
Was this page helpful?
Glad to hear it! Please tell us how we can improve.
Sorry to hear that. Please tell us how we can improve.